Below is a list of many of the great books that artists and thinkers have written over the years, books that have influenced our thinking about how we draw and paint.
- Harold Speed. The Practice and Science of Drawing. Dover, 1972
- Gerald Ackerman. Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course, ACR, 2007
- Robert B. Hale. Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters. Watson-Guptill,1964
- Rex Vicat Cole. Perspective for the Artist. Dover, 1976
- LeCoq de Boisbaudran. Training the Memory in Art. Macmillan,1911
- John Vanderpoel. The Human Figure. Dover, 1958
- Ralph Mayer. The Artist’s Handbook. New York: Viking Penguin, 1991.
- Charles Eastlake. Methods and Materials of Painting of the Great Schools and Masters. Dover, 1960.
- Massey, Robert. Formulas for Painters. New York: Watson-Guptill, 1988.
Figure & Portrait Painting
- Harold Speed. Oil Painting Techniques and Materials. New York: Dover, 1987.
- Solomon R. Solomon. The Practice of Oil Painting. London: Seeley, 1911.
- John Collier. A Manual of Oil Painting. Lulu.com, 2006
- Nicholas Beer. Sight-size Portraiture. Crowood Press 2010
- Schmid, Richard. Alla Prima. South Burlington, VT: Stove Praire Press, 1998 .
Still Life Painting
- Marianne Roland Michel. Chardin. Abrams, 1996.
- Quiet Magic: The Still Lives of Emil Carlsen. Vance Jordan Fine Art, 1999.
- Norbert Schneider. Still Life. Taschen, 2003.
- Gretchen Hirschauer. Luis Melendez: Master of the Spanish Still Life . Yale, 2009.
- David Leffel. An Artist Teaches- Reflections on the Art of Painting. Bright Light, 2003.
- Alan Chong. Still-Life Paintings from the Netherlands, 1550-1720. Waanders Publishers, 1999.
- Edward Lucie-Smith. Fantin-Latour. Phaidon, 1977.
Anatomy & Écorché
- Paul Richer. Artistic Anatomy (R. Hale. Trans.) Watson-Guptill, 1971
- Stephen R. Peck. Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist. New York: Oxford, 1982
- Eliot Goldfinger. Human Anatomy for Artists: The Elements of Form. Oxford, 1991
- Victor Perard. Anatomy and Drawing. Dover, 2004
- Edward Lanteri. Modelling and Sculpting the Human Figure. Dover, 1985
- Joshua Reynolds. Discourses on Art. Yale University Press, 1997
- Robert Henri. The Art Spirit. Basic Books, 200
- Hans Georg Gadamer. The Relevance of the Beautiful, Cambridge, 2007
- Edith Hamilton and Huntington Cairns eds. The Collected Dialogues of Plato. Princeton, 2005.
- Dante Alighieri. The Divine Comedy. Trans. Sinclair. Oxford, 1961.
- David Bevington ed. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. Longman, 2008.
- Edgar Payne. The Composition of Outdoor Painting. Bellflower, CA.: DeRu’s Fine Arts, 2006.
- John F. Carlson. Carlson’s Guide to Landscape Painting. Dover, 1973.
- Birge Harrison. Landscape Painting. New York: Scribners, 1909.
- Rex Vicat Cole. The Artistic Anatomy of Trees. Dover, 1965.
- F. J. Glass. Sketching from Nature. B. T. Batsford, 1926.
- Peter Galassi. Corot in Italy: Open-Air Painting & the Classical-Landscape Tradition. Yale, 1996.
- Averil King. Isaak Levitan: The Lyrical Landscapes. Philip Wilson Publisher, 2004.
- Ralph Sessions ed. The Poetic Vision: American Tonalism. Spanierman Gallery, 2006
- Geoffrey Smith. Arthur Streeton 1867-1943. National Gallery of Victoria, 1995.
- Ruth Westphal ed. Plein Air Painers of California: The North. Westphal, 1998.
- Ruth Westphal ed. Plein Air Painers of California: The Southland. Westphal, 1998.
- Cyril Pearce. Composition: An Analysis of the Principles of Pictorial Design. Barsford, 1927
- Henry R. Poore. Pictorial Composition & the Critical Judgement of Pictures. Putnam, 1903
- Edgar Payne. The Composition of Outdoor Painting. DeRu’s Fine Arts, 2006
- Charles Blanc. The Grammar of Painting and Engraving. Trans. Kate Doggett. Griggs, 1879
- Arthur W. Dow. Pictorial Composition. University of California Press, 1997
- Albert Boime. The Academy and French Painting in the 19th Century. Phaidon, 1971
- Fritz Henning. Concept and Composition. North Light, 1983
- Andrew Loomis. Creative Illustration. Titan Books, 1947
- R. A. M. Stevenson. Velasquez. George Bell and Sons, 1899
- Kenyon Cox. The Classic Point of View. The Classical America Series. W. W. Norton, 1980.
- Evan Charteriers. John Sargent. Scribners, 1927
- Ernst van de Wetering. Rembrandt: The Painter at Work. Amsterdam University Press, 1997
- Arthur K. Wheelock. Vermeer and the Art of Painting. Yale, 1995
- Damien Bartoli with Fred Ross. Catalogue Raisonné on William Bouguereau (1825-1905). Art Renewal Center, 2010.
- Weinberg, Barbara. The Lure of Paris. Abbeville, 1991.
- Elizabeth G. Holt ed. From the Classicists to the Impressionists. Yale, 1966.
- Jonathan Brown. Velasquez: The Techniques of Genius. Yale, 1998
- William Rothenstein. Men and Memories: Recollections, 1872-1938. U of Missouri, 1978
Schedule a Visit
We would love to have you come by the studio and see for yourself what studying at the Golden Gate Atelier is like. Meet our director and talk to our passionate students.
Schedule a visit to see if our Full-Time program is the right fit for you.Schedule a Visit